Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Favorite Christmas Cookies



My mother has these in her cook book as "Finger Tips" (which, to me, sounds a little unappetizing) . I have also heard them referred to as "Mexican Wedding Cakes". But growing up i don't recall calling them anything. It was just a known truth that these cookies were my favorite Christmas time treat. My mother made them every year for me- even the two years i was in St. John for Christmas I got a tin full of powdered sugared crumbly goodness in the mail.

This year, instead of my own private tin of them, my mother presented me with a large bag of pecans at Thanksgiving. It took an additional phone call reminder from her the other day to actually get around to trying the recipe for myself for the first time. It was quite simple despite my misconception that i must have a food processor to make them properly. I just chopped the pecans as fine as i could get them, and used a pastry cutter to get the butter (i used butter instead of margarine) and dry ingredients all mashed together. Final touch: hand mixing before shaping the cookies into their signature crescent moon shape.

With the tree decorated, snow on the ground, and my favorite Christmas cookies at arms reach, it feels more and more like Christmas is here.

"Finger Tips"
from Cathy's Cookbook

1 stick margarine, softened
2 heaping Tbs powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
pinch salt
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
powdered sugar

Preheat oven 350 F.
Cream margarine and sugar.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Roll bits of dough the size of walnut between palms to form
finger lengths or crescents and place on ungreased
cookie sheet.
Bake 10 15 min.
While warm, roll in powdered sugar.
Can dip ends in melted chocolate and let harden if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment