Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas: come and gone


mug from House

I don't think I've fully recovered from Christmas. Every year its the same scenario: starting around Thanksgiving, I get so excited and nostalgic at the thought of the upcoming holiday. The iPod gets overhauled with Christmas tunes and "wintery" music, I line up my Netflix queue with all my favorite holiday movies, I plan obsessively with lists and mental to-dos of what gifts to make, what cookies to bake, what to wear on the big day... December is actually somewhat of an emotional roller-coaster. Amidst all the planning and excitement, I am also reminiscing of all the Christmases past. It's a bittersweet activity because there's always something or someone to miss.

Then Christmas arrives with all it's turkey and chocolate, and gift-giving glory. Suddenly, the dinner guests go home, the TV turns off, you fall asleep full, and wake up the next morning as if nothing had happened. A long drive home, back to work on Monday, and the world spins on. No wonder so many people take the week between Christmas and new years off... your body, mind, and emotions need a whole week to digest everything. Oh, and not to mention new year's! A holiday for assessing your year (life really), triumphs, failures, etc... while at the same time declaring to be a better person and imagining/hoping for what good health and happiness awaits in the coming year. Yes, I suppose I find December a little taxing...but glorious, and i love every bit.


Fiesta Ware from Patti, and Salad tossers from Mom

I intended this post to be all about the wonderful gifts i received for my kitchen! Among the highlights were a tart pan with a removable bottom from Robert, a set of three large Fiesta Wear bowls (and some various other gorgeous dishes) from Patti, hand carved salad tossers and pie server from Santa (mom), a Sarah House original mug from House, food processor/ blender from my parents, and some sour dough bread starter from Betsy, which she has been feeding since 1971! Thank you everyone, my kitchen and I are grateful!


recycled glass dish and saucer set from Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment